Sunday, July 13, 2008

"So what do you do?"

My job seems to be the only thing I am able to talk about. While I never considered myself a particularly skillful listener, I always thought that I had the necessary social intelligence to let other people have their chance to talk. Since I started my new job, I seem to have lost that social intelligence. Sometimes I feel like I have verbal seizures. I often repeat in my head, don't talk about your job, don't talk about your job, people are only pretending that they care, they really don't want to hear about how the loss of skin turgor coupled with decreased vasculature (due to decreased myocardial contractility, decreased blood volume [secondary to decreased thirst mechanism and subsequent dehydration]) makes the placement of a 18-gauge IVs in 80-year-olds really difficult. And then I "come to" and realize i've been blabbering on about false positive d-dimers and how they lead to expensive, lengthy and pointless CT scans and MRIs in obviously healthy, hypochondria-ridden young girls. Advice to other nurses (and myself): this is not what people want to hear when they meet you for a drink. They either want to hear about the really cool trauma that you saw (note: withhold details about punctured organs and "disgusting" bodily fluid) or they want you to just smile and say "Very exciting, just like Grey's Anatomy, and, yes, there are a plethora of Dr McDreamys that I would love to set you up with. How is your (finance) job?"

1 comment:

mommajoan said...

So, you asked, "so what do" I "do?" Well, it first dawned on me that no one was listening, when I brought home a dissected specimen from nursing school. I was so excited to discuss the use of a scalpel and compare the brain of a cat to the brain of a human. What I heard was, "take that off the table" and leave your gorss stories at school. Okay, so I was excited, well, maybe I took my anatomy & physiology lesson to much to heart and wanted someone to be as escited as me. Thirty years later, I still take my patients to heart. I still have nursing stories and I am still looking for someone to listen. Nursing is complex. We are a breed of our own. Like you said, WE are the listeners. Thanks Nurse Molly. What a great way to tell the stories, vent the frustrations and or celebrate the joys. Thanks for listening.